Flowers Named after Famous People
Whether youâ€™re trying to learn how to become a florist or you just possess a keen interest in nature, this list of flowers named after famous people should both amuse and delight you. The name of each flower is listed, along with a brief description and basic information.
- Abraham Lincoln â€“ Four different types of roses have been named after this famous American president: â€œPresident Lincoln,â€œ â€œSouvenir du President,â€œ â€œMr. Lincoln,â€œ and Honest Abe.â€ The first two on the list are hybrid teas, while the second two are miniature moss roses.
- Amelia Earhart â€“ The famous pilot inspired the name for this creamed blush pink hybrid tea rose.
- Audrey Hepburn â€“ With large flowers and a light pink color, this hybrid tea rose is named after the famous actress.
- Barbra Streisand â€“ The actress, singer, and all-around entertainer has a lavender and mauve hybrid tea rose named after her.
- Betty Boop â€“ Known to grow well in all climates, this big-bloomed red floribunda rose was created by Tom Carruth in 1999 and named after the popular cartoon character.
- Betty White â€“ The veteran actress and comic has a blush pink hybrid tea rose named after her.
- Bing Crosby â€“ This dark orange hybrid tea rose is named for the legendary actor and singer.
- Bob Hope â€“ Since Bing Crosby has one, itâ€™s only appropriate that his movie partner warrants a medium red hybrid tea rose.
- Cary Grant â€“ One of the all-time greats in cinema, Cary Grant inspired an orange blend hybrid tea rose with brilliant colors.
- Dolly Parton â€“ With blooms that range from orange to red, this fragrant hybrid tea rose can grow to five feet tall and blooms twice in season. Itâ€™s named after the country singer and actress known for her busty figure.
- George Burns â€“ This cigar-smoking comic lived to be 100, and his lengthy career inspired this yellow blend floribunda rose.
- Henry Fonda – With a strong resistance to diseases, this yellow rose was named after the Oscar-winning actor and father of Jane and Peter.
- Judy Garland â€“ The colors on this floribunda rose range from yellow to orange and scarlet. Named after the famous entertainer who portrayed Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz.
- Marilyn Monroe â€“ Created in 2002 by Tom Carruth, this hybrid tea rose has a light apricot color and does well in hot weather.
- Paul McCartney â€“ A member of the legendary Beatles, McCartney served as the inspiration for this medium pink hybrid tea rose.
- William Shakespeare â€“ The greatest playwright of all time had this deep scarlet modern shrub rose named after him.
If you want to know how to become a florist, youâ€™re going to need to be as familiar as possible with every type of flower. Hopefully, this list has helped you get pointed in the right direction.