The brain is a powerful machine. It is also the most important part after the heart. The brain requires constant pumping of glucose and oxygen from the bloodstream. A cerebrovascular accident also known as a stroke, occurs when blood supply to a part of the brain stops. This results in the death of brain cells. There are numerous ways a stroke may occur. Some of these ways are listed as below:
- The small arteries that narrow down within the brain causes a lacunar stroke. The blockage of a single tissue affects a tiny area of brain which causes the tissue to die.
- There are several vessels which carry blood to the brain. One of them are the arteries. If the arteries responsible for carrying the blood to the brain, harden this may cause a stroke. There are two important components in the arteries- the anterior circulation which controls sensations, motor activity, speech, thought and emotion is in the cartoid arteries. Whereas posterior circulation is chiefly for the areas cerebellum and the brainstem which are controlled by vertebrobasilar arteries. If these are damaged in any way, they may cause a stroke too
- Embolism- In extreme cases, blood clots form within the heart and there are million chances for them to break off and block arteries.
There are other causes that might cause a stroke. It is important to know the kind of stroke one has suffered from, so that it is easy to provide the appropriate stroke treatment. For instance, a stroke can be caused by celebral haemorrhage. This is caused when a blood vessel in the brain ruptures and bleeds into the brain tissues, adjacent to them. This results in loss of blood and oxygen to various parts of the brain.Then there is subarachnoid haemorrhage, in which, the blood acumulates beneath the arachnoid membrane. The symptoms are usually nausea, vomiting, severe headaches and a stiff neck. If not offered the proper stroke treatment this may result in the death of a patient or coma. The third form is a rare condition which is known as vasculitis which results in the inflammation of brain tissues causing them to reduce the blood supply to the brain.
There are different symptoms that show which part of the brain has been affected and which brain tissues have been affected. Once these symptoms manifest themselves, it is recommended to provide the corresponding stroke treatment as soon as possible! There are different treatments available. It is a disorders which requires immediate attention so do the following in case of a stroke:
- Calling the emergency number 911. This is the number for the emergency medical transport.
- Treatment for acute stroke must be given as soon as possible, since it is a fatal disease
- In case somebody is having a stroke, refrain from waiting to see if the symptoms go away.
- Do not call the General Physician
- Aspirin does not so help. It may be injected later, if needed.